Monday, September 19, 2011

DC's New 52

Finally got a chance to check out a few of the new DC titles.  I read Justice League #1, Detective Comics #1, Action Comics #1, and Green Arrow #1.

JL1 was interesting enough.  Nothing super spectacular, though.

DC1 seemed like a fairly typical Batman story.  Decent, but nothing unexpected.

AC1 had a good setup for the story, and we appear to have a lower-powered Superman (for now), but what's up with the short sleeves and jeans uniform?

GA1 was more than a bit cliche.  Not impressed.

Any recommendations for other titles I should try out?  I've always been more of a Marvel than DC fan, but I figure this is as good a time as any to read more DC (and I haven't really read any comics for over a decade).

4 comments:

  1. As the gaming blogosphere's resident DC fanatic I can recommend only a few.

    I must first open by saying that I detest this relaunch/New 52 concept with a passion. In my opinion it moves further and further away from what makes/made DC great in their attempt to emulate Marvel and the latters greater financial success.

    That said, Animal Man #1 was quite interesting, Batwoman #1 was both absolutely beautiful to look at and very intriguing and creepy and Green Lantern #1 was what Green Lantern always is, a damn good Outer Space Superhero book.

    Thing is, Batwoman (being part of the Batman family of books) and Green Lantern haven't been rebooted. So, they were cool before the New 52 and they're still cool. Why? Again money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in some of the Batman titles, and some of the rest seem interesting, but I don't want to get back into heavy comic reading/expense. I might pick three titles and try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have to say the New 52 renewed my interest enough to try out a lot a titles.

    I've reviewed a few, but my highlight books so far have been Animal Man, Demon Knights and Batwoman. Batgirl, Action Comics and Swamp Thing weren't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Action Comics was my favourite, as a reintroduction of Golden Age Superman. Animal Man and Swamp Thing were both good. O.M.A.C. was a big surprise, and might be worth checking if you're a Kirby fan.

    ReplyDelete