Sunday, April 21, 2013

Space Cowboys, Gangsters of Love

Listening to Steve Miller and reading Carl Sagan has got me wanting to whip up some kind of retro-future RPG.  Space Cowboys.  Scientists.  Strange aliens.  World-hopping adventures on the wrong side of the law.  Dudes named Maurice.

Found this awesomeness here
Now, there are already Stars Without Number, Space Princess, Starships and Spacemen, X-Plorers, and probably a few other sci-fi OSR games out there.  So if I do work this up, it may end up as either a retro-clone of Star Frontiers (even though that's available for free with WotC's blessing), or else a reworking of my Presidents of the Apocalypse system to a slightly more serious space opera type game.

For now, though, when time permits I'm still plugging away at Chanbara.

Maybe I could do retro-sci-fi with the Flying Swordsmen system, but as I mentioned above, the class&level D&D/d20 field has plenty of games already.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool, I may just have to borrow your idea and stat him up for Machinations of the Space Princess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Space cowboys" made me think of Firefly. What about the Serenity RPG?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may look into it. I love Firefly but I don't know how easy it might be to separate the setting and mechanics since I've never seen it.

    It's a DIY itch I want to scratch more than an itch to run a game at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of Barbarians of Lemuria? The supplement Barbarians Of The Apocalypse would do this kind of game pefectly, it's a too kit type book for just this sort of thing.

    Hearing you mention using Flying Swordsmen as a base sounds crazy fun both to play and to write. Space western with kungfu for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh heh heh! I wasn't thinking of modding FS (although you're right, that would be cool), but my other baby, Presidents of the Apocalypse. It's ... um, different. :D

    http://lordgwydion.blogspot.kr/search/label/PotA

    ReplyDelete