Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Wasteland Raiders, Mutant Scum (March Madness Day 11)

11 What post-apocalyptic RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?

Gamma World, obviously, in various forms.
The only version I've owned as a physical book.
My cousin had 2E (or maybe he just borrowed it from a friend), but we never got beyond creating characters. Possibly because it had been borrowed and had to be returned (we're both sons of librarians, so the idea of not returning a book we borrowed was alien to us).

Later, the summer after I graduated from high school, I bought the 4th edition of the game, which added character classes to the game, and is the edition I've played the most.

As I mentioned in the character generation question (day 3), we tried out WotC's D&D 4E take-off Gamma World a couple years ago. It was also really fun. The random character generation, plus the switching of powers from round to round and combat to combat with the power cards was fun.

We've always done more “wild and wahoo” style games. I tend to prefer that style. Presidents of the Apocalypse (yeah, we'll release it some day...) is wild and wahoo turned up to 11. But some day, I do hope to play a more grim, serious post-apoc style game. The d20 Apocalypse splat for d20 Modern had some good systems and inspiration for that sort of play.

1 comment: